Food is one of the most important elements when it comes to travelling to new places. Visiting new places without trying their authentic delicacy will be less meaningful. Through the dish, you will be able to learn more about the local culture. Travelers also have different ways in enjoying their food hunting during a trip. Some of them like having dinner in fancy restaurants and some others prefer street foods. It is only a matter of preference which is often more individual.
What you can do to savor local food scene
To gain the real experience of savoring local food scene, it is recommended not to rely only on restaurants. There are various options you can choose to enjoy local foods with friendly atmosphere within the local. Here are several options for you to really enjoy local food scene from your trip to a new place:
- You can get invited to eat a home-cooked meal with local family. It sounds impossible but easier these days. There are several websites organizing this kind of experience. There are various options you can choose such as experiencing home-cooked meals of local chefs, cooking class, or food tours in local homes.
- Local market is always the best way to approach local food scene and enjoy it more. You can visit farmer market where there are various homegrown products. You can wonder around the stalls and taste samples. It is also great o have a chat with the vendors or farmers while picking up some goodies for lunch or dinner.
- Another way to truly experience local food scene is by shopping where the local shop. Thus, you can do grocery shopping in local market. There will be differences between supermarkets you are used to at home and grocery store you find at your travel destinations. However, this is good experience because then you will figure out what kind of foods are the staples of the local diet.
- You can also try arranging a homestay. Aside from being able to savor local food scene, it is also a great chance to blend in with the locals. There are many websites arranging a homestay. Live with the local family and eat with them during your trip will earn you more meaningful experience. You can even learn how to cook traditional foods.
- You can also try arranging a farmstay for in depth-experience. It is not only to enjoy the local food scene but also to let you gain experience living in a working farm. You will learn something about farming. For example, you can help picking out berries, milking cows, or shearing a sheep. During your farmstay, you will be enjoying fresh scrambled eggs, organic cheese, etc.
- Another simple thing to enjoy local food scene is that by recreating the most memorable dish you tried during your vacation at home. When you return from your trip, you can try to recreate a local dish in your own kitchen. It will bring you back to the memory and just transport you back to the place you just left.